Saturday, December 25, 2010

"Because it is COOL!"- Review on The Social Network and a Random thought

In fact I have watched the for a long time but finally I pick up my mind now....... Someone has told me that this movie is "boring". It is reasonable in a sense as it has no attractive action and effect of course, but it also has no climax-It is a plain narrative of the development of FB. However, I felt the tension lying within the story-the sparkling of ideas, the change of Zucherburg, the founder of Facebook, and also his passion. I have not felt bored even one minute in the movie. If you have not watched this, I would recommend this movie to you.

Somehow the movie touched one point in my mind. Zucherburg in the movie insisted Facebook should be advertisement-free when his partner disagreed and want to make a profit from it. Zucherburg gave a reason, "As it is not COOL". In fact, that's how Zuckerburg different from the others. When others considered Facebook as a business, it was not wrong to make a profit. But Zuckerburg didn't, he wanted to make something cool- so cool that it can change the world. He was not a business but an artist. And the world paid his persistence with fame and money-not so important to him. Anyway, it is  a COOL thing.

Suddenly I understand why my interest towards Physics is diminishing. It is no longer COOL for me-at least not as cool as it was. I can master Physics quite well in UG level. But I am not making it COOL. After studying in PG (or more precisely, UG Year 3), I realized the material is becoming more and more demanding. I have no confidence to make something COOL in Physics with my weak background and limited wisdom. And I am not talented (or motivated) enough to be a outstanding researcher. And you can see the guys around you- smart, motivated, and enjoying. It can be a threatening sign to myself.

There is no standard to judge something is cool or not. But you will know this. Try a little experiment. When you meet a new friend, think about how you introduce yourself. Usually we will come up the most important identity first-which is COOL- in your sense. And when you talk about your life, what would you talk about? It is usually some experience that you appreciate, aka COOL. If you are a researcher, do you try to introduce your research to a stranger in layman term enthusiastically? If you do so, I believe you are qualified as a researcher.

But it is not the case for me. I would rather to mention my experience in Cambodia service trip or life on Jersey Island. I may talk about my political view or reading habit. But I seldom talk about my research- I think it is the root of the problem.

ps: I notice that the name "Zuckerburg" is "Zucker" + "Burg", which mean Sugar and Castle in German.
ps2: Somehow the movie dramatize the reality, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment